Welcome to Villa Emilia (My Woodland Garden), a photography blog with a slant towards gardening and nature. An amateur gardener and photographer, I hope to share beautiful moments with you through pictures. Let me know if you like them! ❤

Thank you for your visit.

15.3.2020

Lisbeth Werner: Puk seikkailee jälleen - Trees and sunshine






Helmet-lukuhaasteen kohta 38: Kirjan kannessa tai kuvauksessa on puu

Tämä kohta on helppo. :) Kirjoja puista minulla on vaikka kuinka paljon. Yht'äkkiä muistui mieleeni tämä lasten/nuortenkirja ja sen nostalginen kansi vuosikymmenten takaa... ja satuin vielä kirjan löytämäänkin.

Tanskankielinen alkuteos on ilmestynyt 1969. Suomennos on Kaisa Peltosen. Kirjassa on 80 sivua kepeää lukemista Egeborgin sisäoppilaitoksen oppilaiden elämästä ja seikkailuista. Arvelen, että päähenkilöt ovat noin viisitoistavuotiaita. "Lisbeth Werner" oli muuten salanimi, jolla Knud Meister ja Carlo Andersen julkaisivat Puk-kirjoja.




Julkaisen samalla uudelleen kuvia yhdestä lempipostauksestani viiden vuoden takaa. Nyt huomaan, että kuvat eivät ole erityisen tarkkoja, mutta pidän niistä kovasti niiden aurinkoisen tunnelman vuoksi.




In English: Hello all! Today I post some old photos, taken in March 2015. There was much more snow back then. :)

The sun was shining brightly. The weather was windy, but otherwise it was silent and peaceful in the wood. Only the peeling birch bark was flapping in the wind.




Even though there was much snow, it was easy to walk around because the snow crust was thick and strong. I wasn't familiar with the English term and was happy to find a really helpful meteorological glossary, by the American Meteorological Society, available at http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Main_Page.

Thus, a snow crust is "a crisp, firm, outer surface upon snow.  -  Basically, three types of snow crusts exist, formed by 1) the refreezing of surface snow, after melting and/or wetting, to form a hard layer of snow (sun crust, rain crust, spring crust); 2) the packing of snow into a hard layer by wind action (wind crust, wind slab); and 3) the freezing of surface water, however derived, to form a continuous layer of ice on top of snow (film crust, ice crust). A snow crust is designated as "breakable" or "unbreakable" according to its ability to support a person on skis."

One of the photos of my collage (at the top of this post) shows how the snow crust carried easily a person, even without skis or snowshoes.




The bark of a Scots pine is thin, flaky and almost orange on the upper trunk and branches:




Woollen mittens are warm and surprisingly wet-and-snow-resistant. :)




In March 2015, I participated with this post in the following blog events: Mosaic Monday (link not valid anymore), Karen's Sunlit SundayOur World Tuesday and Wednesday around the World.



Stay safe and healthy!


32 kommenttia:

  1. Wonderful post, I enjoyed reading you are a kind of a tree hugger, I can imagine. You made extremely beautiful pictures of the barks, the birchbark is very nice put the photo of the Scotch pine bark is magnificant. We don´t have much snow in our country, this year nothing at all. Snowcrusts may be nice to walk on, but when we were on holidays skiing on an icy snowcrust I was scared.
    Thank you for sharing all these great photos.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Ah, mitä kuvia! niin hyvin tulee talvinen hiljainen tunnelma tuosta koivusta ja männyn kaarnasta, hankikuvista ja tumpuista. Talvessa on niin paljon kaunista.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Hello Sara,
    What have you still are a lot of snow. I read with interest your story!
    What does the bark of the tree beautiful with all those beautiful pastel colors!
    A fine week desired!

    With Love, Gerry

    VastaaPoista
  4. Love the mittens on the tree - and the bard - great post.

    VastaaPoista
  5. I like the way the Scots Pine is flaking. Very pretty! And the mittens looks very pretty on the bark too.

    VastaaPoista
  6. Lovely post Sara! No sunshine here today, more snow and cold and windy. That flaky pine bark is beautiful! Tree barks are as varied as foliage, aren't they? Nature is always fascinating!

    VastaaPoista
  7. Great photos of the different barks. Interesting items on the different snow types. It is raining here today. I noticed that the trees are starting to put on their new leaves. It is spring. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    VastaaPoista
  8. Bark is so interesting, you captured some nice varieties. Have a great first week of Spring!

    http://happywonderer.com/2015/03/22/sunlit-spires/

    VastaaPoista
  9. I hope you have a great week too! xx

    VastaaPoista
  10. I love reading about your snow crust and seeing your mittens reminds me how different our lives are and why I enjoy peeping into your glorious woodland garden. I am sure you were welcomed into Sunlit Sunday as your sunny comments brighten all our blogs!
    Have a great week.
    Wren x

    VastaaPoista
  11. I hope that snow crust soon softens and melts so that spring can show off flowers and plants. Love the curling birch bark - birch trees are among my favorites. The mittens look not only warm, but pretty. Have a wonderful week, Sara.

    Lorrie

    VastaaPoista
  12. Hoping the snow crust and snow melt soon and give you the glimpse of spring. Love your photography

    VastaaPoista
  13. Great mosaics of awesome photos.

    VastaaPoista
  14. Beautiful mosaic.......lovely shots!

    Happy Monday!

    VastaaPoista
  15. Wonderful pictures- love the close ups of the tree bark. Isn't the snow crust amazing, I remember walking on it when I was younger. It was fun to see how far you could go without breaking through. There were many trees taken down near the road by our county maintenance crew recently. They were all older and have massive trunks. I hated to see them do this but their excuse was they're too close to the road. I suspect they're really up to something planned for the future that I don't want to know about.

    VastaaPoista
  16. Pretty images and mosaics! Hubby and I are tree hungers too! Enjoy your day and the week ahead!

    VastaaPoista
  17. Hello my fellow tree hugger. I enjoy learning of he intricacies of winter you're sharing and I wish to add to the snow crust info is that when it's hard, breaks under your feet and you fall, it hurts!
    I had no idea a Scots pine bark had the colour in it as shown, Mother Nature's artwork and of course your pretty mittens on top.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday Sara.

    VastaaPoista
  18. A gorgeous mosaic...and I did not know about the snow crust....we have one right now that the cold weather can not penetrate. But it is lovely to look at...and oh that bark is gorgeous too. I also don't like to see trees cut down if possible but we had to cut several because of an infestation....we left some trunks and some snags for wildlife.

    VastaaPoista
  19. We live in a woodland setting. I agree, it is a wonderful place. - Margy

    VastaaPoista
  20. I miss seeing woods around living in this concrete city. This is refreshing to look at. :)

    VastaaPoista
  21. I'm a tree hugger too Sara, I admire their strength.
    To think they can grow from a tiny seed and live for hundreds of years in some cases - that deserves respect!
    Inspiring photos as always Sara!

    VastaaPoista
  22. I've enjoyed visiting today and learning about snow! as it is something we don't have at all where I live. I wish for some sometimes. Oh well. Have a wonderful week and thankyou for stopping by my blog today. I wish you a sunny spring!

    VastaaPoista
  23. When I taught art I used the thin bark of our birch to paint on. The student would get it wet and let it dry flat then choose an animal or flower as their project. Have a blessed week.

    VastaaPoista
  24. I can feel that birch bark gently rustling in that cool breeze, Sara. Snow crust, huh? Well, definitely good to know! Thanks for a most cozy post.

    Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!

    Poppy

    VastaaPoista
  25. So beautiful images of great scenery.
    Good Wednesday to you.

    VastaaPoista
  26. I remember, as a child, how it was a fun challenge to try walking across the crust of snow and not break through it. I love the texture in your photos, Sara, the evergreen needs, the flaking bark and especially the woolen mittens on the fallen tree; I wonder if you knit those mitts!

    Karen

    VastaaPoista
  27. Sara, I really love the bark pictures. They would make great backgrounds. Sylvia

    VastaaPoista
  28. What a beautiful place. I love your photos of the different bark. Nice collage of what you could see.

    VastaaPoista

Thank you for your comment! It is very much appreciated.
It may take awhile but I will always visit you back.

Kiitos kommentistasi!

Grazie del tuo commento!